Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Research Plan 2010

My research plan for 2010 consists of collecting samples from all fossil trees that can be shown to be in place. From these samples I will take 3 cuts from different directions: radial, cross section and tangential. From those cuts I will make thin section slides. In the field I'll also take measurements of tree length and diameter, and record the environment of deposition (or the conditions upon which the tree was deposited). When I am done collecting all of the samples and data, under the direction of Ian Miller and Kirk Johnson at DMNS, we should be able to determine genus of trees at Corral Bluffs, as well as noting how the trees changed over time.

I've collected 3 samples so far, but haven't been able to get back to the DMNS lab because of time and weather constraints. Spring weather has not been conducive to field work or the drive to Denver.

In the meantime I have rebuild and updated my website. My paper on Red Rock Canyon was published in the winter edition of the Mountain Geologist journal, and I have coauthored a book called Geologic Folio of Red Rock Canyon Open Space, under lead author Ken Weissenburger. It's been a busy winter, but I'm very ready for summer break and field season!

No comments: