Friday, May 15, 2009

A Day in the field with the DMNS curators

Today was the first day Kirk Johnson and Ian Miller of the Denver Museum of Nature & Science got the chance to walk the Case Property at Corral Bluffs. It seems that everywhere they looked they found new leaf localities. Kirk said that at one site every leaf they picked up was a new species. They marked 3 or 4 new localities. Two sites are near the bottom of the section and one is at the very top and may eventually correlate with the Castle Rock rainforest site. That site is one of the sites I had found and named "Dead Batteries" due to the fact that when I found the leaves I also found out that the batteries on my gps and my camera were dead.

Ken Weissenburger also found what appears to be a small crocodile skull, with various other bones. The DMNS crew may come back to take it out.

When I got home I found that I had a 6 inch hole in the seat of my old favorite field pants! I hope I was walking in back of the group most of the day...

No comments: