Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Rattlesnakes are Awake



My son Patrick and I went out for a brief tour of Corral Bluffs this afternoon. I knew it was about the right time, and my hunch was confirmed when Patrick said, "Oh, here's a snake skin or a dead snake, or, wait a minute..." I had stepped on a baby rattlesnake about 10 inches long. It looked rather squished, but after poking it with a stick we found out that it seemed to be fine. A short way away I found several fossil bones, so the new locality name is, naturally, "Squished Rattler." I don't know for sure what the bones are, but my first guess is crocodile. They don't quite look turtlish. The Bluffs are looking beautiful. Green leaves are beginning to appear. I decided I am Lewis and/or Clark, describing a new land. So I am creating names for every place. The spot I named today is Windswept Hollow. It's at the top of a bluff, with views of Pikes Peak and the Sangres and beautiful pinnacles and bowls of sandstone.

No comments: